D'al Lun naontek a viz C'hwevrer 2018
Demat d'an holl,
Le 19 février 2018 ajout de deux cartes postales trouvées sur la toile
Voir paragraphe 1
Article paru initialement le 19 Juillet 2014 pour compléter le premier relatif au village de Cyffylliog:
Pour en savoir plus sur le blog cliquer sur:
Plan de l'article:
1) Cartes postales anciennes
2) Photographies anciennes
3) Histoire du village
4) The London Gazette 30 janvier 1874
1) Cartes postales anciennes:
CPA ancienne achetée sur internet en 2014:
2) Photographies anciennes
Jane Tom y Gyffylliog:
Reverand William Rees Williams vicar of Gyffylliog:
Reverand William Rees Williams, rector of Gyffylliog at 86 yrs:
Sleeping beauties Y Gyffylliog:
St Mary's Church Cyffylliog:
3) Histoire du village:
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust
Historic Settlement Survey – Denbighshire - 2014
SJ 0589 5782
The small settlement of Cyffylliog is set in the valley of Afon Clywedog where the river
forces its way through the hills to the west of the Vale of Clwyd. Twin streams, Afon Corris
and Nant Gladur, run down from the south-west delineating a spur, the tip of which is
occupied by Cyffylliog church. The heart of the settlement is set a little further south on the
north bank of Nant Gladur. A minor road serves Cyffylliog, leading from Ruthin which is
6km to the east.
This brief report examines the emergence and development of Cyffylliog up to the year 1750.
For the more recent history of the settlement, it will be necessary to look at other sources of
information and particularly at the origins and nature of the buildings within it.
The accompanying map is offered only as an indicative guide to the historic settlement. The
continuous line defining the historic core offers a visual interpretation of the area within
which the settlement developed, based on our interpretation of the evidence currently to hand.
It is not an immutable boundary line, and will require modification as new discoveries are
made. The map does not show those areas or buildings that are statutorily designated, nor
does it pick out those sites or features that are specifically mentioned in the text.
We have not referenced the sources that have been examined to produce this report, but that
information will be available in the Historic Environment Record (HER) maintained by the
Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust. The HER can be accessed on-line through the Archwilio
History of development
Cyffylliog (or in Welsh Y Gyffylliog) is first documented as Kyffellauc in 1259-60 and
appears as Kyffylyog in 1400 and as y gyffyllioc in c.1566. This has been tentatively
interpreted by recent authorities as ‘(the place of) pollard trees or stumps’.
Until 1873, Cyffylliog was a chapel of ease attached to Llanynys; it was said to have been
built by Griffith Goch at the end of the 12th century. The spur location above a stream apart,
there is certainly little to recommend an early medieval origin for its foundation, though
Cadw’s listed building specialists are more sanguine about this possibility.
The form of the medieval settlement around the church, assuming there was one, is not
Late 18th-century and mid 19th-century maps indicate a very small settlement here. An estate
map from the years 1772-4 appears to show no more than a single building north-west of the
church, and the absence of obviously old dwellings near Nant Gladur does seem suggest that
the development of dwellings in this part of the valley was a relatively recent occurrence.
However, by the time of the mid 19th-century Tithe survey the north bank of the stream had
attracted housing, and a few other dwellings had been erected on the lane beyond the church.
On the face of it this appears to be a late post-medieval settlement.
The heritage to 1750
St Mary's church (105910) consists of a single chamber built in rubblestone which is
impossible to date. The east window has decorated tracery and other windows, though now
wholly renewed, could have originated at the same time. An extensive restoration of 1876
saw much of the building replaced. Inside the church the font, originally fashioned in the 14th
century, has been re-tooled, fragments of the medieval rood screen were incorporated into the
19th-century church furniture and there are two chests. It is of no surprise that a wall painting
of the crowning of the Virgin uncovered in 1876 was not preserved.
The churchyard (19767) is rectilinear, its north-eastern perimeter following the edge of the
river terrace. Only on the south does the arc of the boundary and the adjacent lane suggest
something more curvilinear. The stone-built hearse house carries a date of 1823.
There are no listed buildings other than those associated with the church and the bridge
spanning the Clywedog.
A building platform (19768) which can be equated with the dwelling shown on the later 18thcentury
estate map is discernible in OS plot 7886.
Ridge and furrow (19769) covered the adjacent field (OS plot 7280) on a 1946 aerial
photograph, but was not recognised during fieldwork in the 1990s.
Reproduced by permission of Ordnance Survey® on behalf of HMSO. © Crown copyright and database right
2014. All rights reserved. Welsh Assembly Government. Licence number 100017916.
Y Gyffylliog Denbighshire
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Y Gyffylliog like this:
GYFFYLLIOG, or CYFFYLLIOG, a parish and a subdistrict in Ruthin district, Denbigh. The parish lies on a rivulet of its own name, an affluent of the Clwyd, 5 miles W of Ruthin town and r. station; and contains the townships of Ffrithoed, Trefor, Treganol, and Trepark. Post town, Ruthin, Denbighshire. Acres, 6, 652. Real property, £2, 076. Pop., 564. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanynys, in the diocese of St. Asaph. The church is a poor edifice.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 18, 923. Pop., 1, 326. Houses, 281.
4) The London Gazette 30 janvier 1874: